We all want it, we all crave it, we envy others who have it! What is it? Beautiful and strong hair of course! As the cold dry air of winter creeps in, it’s time to think about protecting your tresses from the harsh elements of the season. Check out our top winter hair tips:
- Wear a hat! Protect your locks by covering them from the wind, rain, and snow with a hat. If you don’t want the dreaded hat hair, wrap a silk scarf around your hair before putting on your wool beanie or hat. The scarf will cut down on hair breakage and static under your hat.
- Treat your hair. When the air is dry, give your hair a moisture treatment about once a week. This treatment can replenish the moisture lost by shampooing or exposure to dry heat. Avoid your hairdryers ‘hot’ setting as it will only weaken your hair in the dry months.
- Shampoo less often. Limit washing your hair to a minimum of two to three times a week. Make sure your hair is dry when you leave the house, otherwise the cold air will further damage your hair making it dry and brittle.
- Eat right. Your hair health is dependent on what goes in your body. Studies show that stress-induced hair loss can be associated with deficiencies in certain nutrients. To retain moisture and shine, essential fatty acids and protein are important, too. A diet low in protein could result in thin or dry hair, while adequate amounts help produce keratin, a main protein component of hair.
- Invest in a humidifier. Once you turn on the furnace to heat up your home, your hair and skin will be the first to notice. Replace the dry air with moisture from a humidifier. This inexpensive device can add much needed moisture to the air reducing the dryness in your home, skin, and hair.
Winter’s dry air is inevitable, but your hair doesn’t have to suffer. Keep your tresses strong and be mindful of what you wear and eat. If you want more winter hair tips, visit Vivia Center, your one stop shop to keeping your beautiful!