How does Thermage work? Thermage uses unique radio-frequency (RF) technology to reach deep into the dermis and subcutaneous tissue to cause tightening in the skin layers that matter most. First, we’ll walk you through the different layers of your skin and then show you how Thermage affects each of then.
The Layers of Your Skin
Your skin is made up of three distinct layers:
- The epidermis—the visible outer surface
- The dermis—the collagen rich layer beneath the surface
- Subcutaneous tissue—the “fat layer” beneath the dermis that also has a web of collagen fibers
The collagen in your dermis and subcutaneous tissue is a protein that keeps your skin youthful and tight. But as you age and get more sun exposure, that collagen simply breaks down faster than your body can rebuild it, and your skin may start to sag or wrinkle.
What Thermage Does
In response to collagen breakdown, there are many tightening treatments that operate by heating the inner layers of skin. But unlike laser treatments and other technologies that heat the superficial skin layers, Thermage uses unique radiofrequency (RF) technology to reach deep into the dermis and subcutaneous tissue to cause tightening in the layers that matter most.
Here’s how it works:
- Deep heating. The deep heating of Thermage helps tighten the collagen in your dermis and subcutaneous tissue, while also stimulating the formation of new collagen. As a result, you’ll see tighter, smoother skin and improved tone and texture, starting immediately and continuing in the months following treatment.
- Integrated cooling. At the same time that Thermage heats the deep layers, it also cools the epidermis, keeping the surface of your skin safe during the procedure. As a result, your skin needs no recovery time, so you can quickly resume your daily routine.
- All from a single treatment. Best of all, you need only one Thermage treatment to get the full benefits. In fact, because it heats so deeply, Thermage is the only non-invasive procedure that helps tighten and contour skin in a single treatment with little or no downtime.
Is It For Me?
Thermage is an easy way to turn back the clock on aging skin—on all skin colors, on and off the face. Browse the following skin conditions to see what applies to you. Then click on each treatment area to see how Thermage can help you rejoice in a younger looking you.
- Sagging skin
- Loose jowls or lack of definition in jaw line
- Sagging skin under the chin (“turkey neck”;)
- Wrinkles and fine lines around the mouth, eyes or forehead
- Lack of definition in lips
- Tired looking eyes
- Excess skin on the upper eyelid (also known as “hooding”;)
- Crepey texture of eyelids, making it hard to apply eye shadow or eye liner
- Wrinkles and fine lines around the eyes (“crow’s feet”;)
- Wrinkled, crepey or sagging skin on the tummy, knees, arms, legs, hands or buttocks
- Sagging skin or unwanted bulges after pregnancy or weight loss
- Love handles
- Appearance of cellulite