Read our top summer skincare tips! Have more tips? Share them in the comments below!
1) Preload sunscreen – Put your initial sunscreen application on at home or in your hotel before heading out. You are less likely to “miss a spot” when you are in the privacy of your room. Applying sunscreen right after your shower, rather your hitting the beach that day or not, is a great summer practice. This allows sunscreen to build up in you stratum corneum, and makes skin less likely to burn.
2) Avoid an ashy look– Many sunscreens look white or ashy on dark skin. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are typically the problem and should be avoided if this is a concern for you.
3) Wear sweat resistant sunscreen on active days – For a day of activity in the sun, be sure to wear a sunscreen that is “sweat resistant” or waterproof.
4) Scrub often – Hot, humid weather can cause your pores to look larger and more obvious. Add one extra exfoliation session per week to your skin care routine.
5) Stop redness in its tracks – Feeling flushed? Over time, chronic flushing can lead to permanently dilated capillaries on the face. To reduce redness, apply a washcloth soaked in ice water, then wrung out to the neck and face. It cools the blood that’s flowing to the face and reduces redness. You will also look and feel better almost immediately.
6) Peel away – An in-office acid peel clears up dulling, dead skin cells, which not only helps even out any discoloration, but also draws excess oil out of the pores and leaves skin less shiny. Another benefit – it kills bacteria inside, and slows oil production.
7) Treat sunburn – No matter how careful, it seems to still happen each season. Thy key to treating sunburn is to get the inflammation down as soon as possible to curb damage in the skin and to calm redness. Immerse a washcloth in a bowl of skim milk and ice, wring out and apply it to the area for five to ten minutes. Also take aspirin or ibuprofen and apply hydrocortisone cream if needed.
We hope you enjoyed these summer skincare tips. Be sure to check out our products, many of which can help prevent sun damage or repair sun-damaged skin. Have fun in the sun this summer!